5 Heartwarming Valentine's Day Books for Kids
Valentine's Day is a time to celebrate love and friendship, and what better way to do that with kids than by curling up with a good book? Of course, everyone still loves the candy and many classrooms (specifically in North America) still hand out valentine's day cards to classes, but books are the best way to teach values about self-love and compassion for Valentine's Day.
Here are 5 adorable choices that will spread the warmth and fuzzies, while also nurturing the essential message of self-love:
- Llama Llama I Love You by Anna Dewdney: This delightful board book is perfect for little ones, with its sweet rhyme and snuggly illustrations. Llama Llama learns different ways to show love to his family and friends, reminding us that love comes in all shapes and sizes.
- Bananas for You! by Sabrina Moyle: This vibrant and silly story follows Clementine the monkey as she prepares a Valentine's Day surprise for her friends. Full of funny antics and playful rhymes, it celebrates the joy of friendship and making others happy.
- Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse! by Laura Numeroff: Everyone's favorite little cheese-lover is back, spreading Valentine's cheer to all his friends. This classic board book captures the simple pleasures of showing love and appreciation, making it a heartwarming choice for young children.
- Love from The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle: This timeless tale gets a Valentine's Day twist, reminding us that love is all around us. With its iconic artwork and heartwarming message, it's a beautiful way to introduce children to the concept of love in a broader sense.
- Love from Bluey by Suzy Brumm: Based on the beloved Australian children's show, this sweet story follows Bluey and Bandit as they prepare Valentine's Day cards for their loved ones. It's filled with humor, warmth, and a reminder that even the smallest acts of love can make a big difference.
Framing Valentine's Day For Kids
Remember, Valentine's Day isn't just about romantic love. It's a day to celebrate all kinds of love, including the love we have for ourselves. As you share these books with your children, take the opportunity to talk about the importance of self-love and self-care. Encourage them to appreciate their own unique qualities and to treat themselves with kindness and compassion.
Here are some tips for fostering self-love in children:
- Read books and stories that celebrate positive self-image.
- Help them identify their strengths and talents.
- Encourage them to express their feelings openly and honestly.
- Model self-compassion and acceptance in your own behavior.
- Create a safe and supportive space for them to be themselves.
By nurturing self-love alongside celebrating love for others, you can help your children build a foundation for healthy relationships and emotional well-being throughout their lives. So grab these cozy books, snuggle up with your little ones, and spread the love this Valentine's Day!
More Recommended Valentine's Day Stories For Kids
Did you know that Stories to Grow By offers a great lineup of free Valentine's Day Stories for Kids? That's right! Check out our stories >
Also see an entire archive of valentine's day books for kids from all around the world.