Stories to Grow By
November 2023 Newsletter
In this edition: Stories to Grow By highlights thanksgiving stories for kids, and showcases the story "The Bear Feast"!
Teaching Children to Be Thankful During Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is a time to come together with loved ones and appreciate all that we have. It's also a great opportunity to teach children about the importance of gratitude through Thanksgiving stories. Here are a few tips on how to help your kids be more thankful during Thanksgiving:
- Set a good example. Children learn by watching the adults in their lives. If you want them to be grateful, be sure to express your own gratitude regularly. Thank your family and friends for their help, support, and love. Thank the checkout clerk at the grocery store, the barista at the coffee shop, and the mail carrier.
- Talk about gratitude. Have conversations with your kids about what they're thankful for. This could be over dinner, at bedtime, or during a car ride. Ask them to share specific things they're grateful for, big or small while sharing stories about these topics.
- Make gratitude a daily practice. Start a gratitude journal where everyone in the family can write down one thing they're thankful for each day. Or, create a gratitude jar where everyone can drop in pieces of paper with things they're grateful for. Read the notes aloud during Thanksgiving dinner.
- Do something for others. Volunteering or donating to charity is a great way to teach kids about the importance of giving back. It also helps them to appreciate all that they have.
Curated List of Thanksgiving Books for Kids
Here is a curated list of Thanksgiving books that are perfect for November and instill themes of thankfulness and gratitude:
- Thank You, Thanksgiving by David Milgrim
- Fancy Nancy's Thanksgiving by Jane O'Connor
- Bear Says Thanks by Karma Wilson
- The Night Before Thanksgiving by Natasha Wing
- How to Catch a Turkey by Adam Wallace
- The Leaf Thief by Alice Hemming
- I Am Thankful by Sheri Wall
These books are perfect for children of all ages and provide a fun and engaging way to teach them about the importance of gratitude and the history of Thanksgiving.
How to Use the Thanksgiving Book List
You can use the Thanksgiving book list in a variety of ways. Here are a few ideas:
- Read one of the books each week during the month of November.
- Have a family Thanksgiving storytime where everyone takes turns reading a different book.
- Create a Thanksgiving book club with your child's friends or classmates.
- Use the books to spark conversations about gratitude.
- Ask your child to illustrate their favorite scene from one of the books.
No matter how you choose to use the book list, be sure to make it fun and engaging for your child. The goal is to help them learn about gratitude and the importance of Thanksgiving in a positive and enjoyable way.
Thanksgiving is a special time of year to teach children about the importance of gratitude. By following the tips above and using the curated book list, you can help your kids develop a lifelong appreciation for all that they have.
Reminder: Storytime Partnership
We’re delighted to be teaming up with our friends at Storytime to offer Stories to Grow By readers 20% off a Storytime subscription!
Each Storytime magazine is packed with fairy tales, new and classic stories, awesome animals, inspirational children, myths and legends – all beautifully illustrated, with puzzles and games too.
Every month a new issue arrives via the mail, so the kids have the excitement of getting their own post! There are free downloadable activities too.
No plastic, no adverts – just wonderful stories to read, love and share for kids aged 4 to 9.
Get 20% off Storytime today!
November 2023 Featured Story
A lonely old man invites a curious group to a feast, hoping for friendship.
The villagers are afraid, but the old man is kind and welcoming. He learns that he and his guests are more alike than he thought. Will they become friends?
Read "The Bear Feast" For FREE By Clicking HERE!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and engage with our Newsletter!
Support us directly:
Click HERE to subscribe if you are not already.
Be sure to check out other stories you may love by clicking HERE!
Want to get in touch? Drop us a line HERE!
Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases